Along with research and development, western medicine has come to embrace the importance of maintaining a healthy diet; one that will provide the essential nourishment needed to combat the often debilitating effects of this disease.
There is the unfortunate reality that most of us know someone who has been diagnosed with cancer. The good news is that treatments for this disease such as #Immunotherapy and #Proton Beam Therapy offer patients both new and more effective ways to fight cancer. The following is a straightforward list of foods that pack a powerful punch against cancer. It is important to note that the food consumed during therapy is doctor approved and organic (free from processing).
Health- Supportive Foods That Fight Cancer
1. Flax is high in #omega-3 fatty acids which protect against colon and other cancers. It also contains compounds that block cancerous changes in cells.
2. Tumeric is a plant whose medicinal uses date back four thousand years. Studies have shown its’ medicinal value to include antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antitumor, antioxidant activities. Numerous studies have reported Curcumin’s (the major ingredient in the spice Tumeric) preventative and cancer fighting abilities. Check out this useful guide on how to grow your own Tumeric at home.
3. Cruciferous Vegetables are high in fiber, vitamins, minerals and powerful antioxidants; all of which help to detox the body. They also have #phytochemicals that work to break down carcinogens. Cruciferous vegetables include: broccoli, kale, cauliflower, cabbage, arugula, bok choy, swiss chard, Chinese cabbage, collard greens, daikon, kohlrabi, mustard greens, radishes, rutabagas, turnips, watercress and brussels sprouts.
4. Dark Seeded Grapes when eaten whole, contain powerful #antioxidants that work to prevent cancer; grapes also contain a compound called ellagic acid that has the ability to restrict blood flow and prevent the growth of cancer cells, as published in a study by the US Library of National Medicine.
5. Hot Peppers such as jalapenos and #chili peppers are especially effective in the prevention of stomach cancers; they contain a chemical called capsaicin, which works to fight the disease.
3. Mushrooms contain a number of valuable compounds that attack #cancer cells, prevent them from multiplying and boost #immunity. Here are some of the best cancer fighting mushrooms that can be sourced dried or fresh from specialty food markets or online: Agaricus Blazei Murrill, or the ABM mushroom, Coriolus Versicolor (Asian Turkey Tail mushroom), Shitake, Reishi, Maitake, Cordyceps Oglossoides and Phellinus Linteus The Truth About Cancer.
4. Green Tea: contains a compound called #EGCG which may slow down and inhibit the growth of tumors.
5. Salmon which is rich in vitamin D and #omega-3 fatty acids, helps protect the body against cancer.
6. Garlic (onion, leeks and chives) contain(s) compounds which have #anti-tumor properties according to a study published by the US Library of Medicine. These compounds also enhance immune cell activity, help break down cancer causing substances and block #carcinogens from entering cells.
7. Walnuts contain high amounts of #polyphenols, phytochemicals that have antioxidant properties. They also contain a broad range of other potentially protective compounds that help prevent cancer, American Institute for Cancer Research. Nuts are considered to be nutritionally precious. This explains the mechanism by which nut components can induce cancer cell death and inhibit cancer growth and spread in vitro states Dr. Farrah MD.
Note: Research is mounting on the benefits of fasting as it relates to the immune system fighting cancer; it is worth discussing with an #Oncologist.
Here is a quick and easy recipe that features the mighty walnut!
I remember piling into our station wagon on Christmas Eve and driving down Harlem River Drive towards Union Square in Manhattan, where Luchow’s was located (that’s my brother and I). The iconic restaurant closed its doors in 1982.
This rich and savory spread was inspired by Luchow’s German Cookbook’s recipe for Chicken Liver Pate 1952.
-1 cup organic chick pea flour
-1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
-1 shallot, minced
-1/2 cup unsweetened, organic soy milk
-1/2 cup toasted walnuts
-1/2 teaspoon Umeboshi vinegar to taste (Japanese plum vinegar)
-pinch of black pepper
Heat the chickpea flour over low heat in a heavy bottomed sauce pan until it begins to smell toasty. Slowly add the oil and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes. Add the shallots and continue to cook for about 5 more minutes. Add the soy milk and whisk until the desired consistency is reached. Remove from heat and cool. Pour the mixture into a food processor with the walnuts and pulse until the mixture comes together. Adjust the seasoning with the black pepper and Umeboshi vinegar.